Stroke symptoms occur suddenly. The commonest symptoms are :
- Facial weakness. One side of the face becomes droopy or the smile becomes crooked suddenly
- Arm weakness: Difficulty in lifting up the arm. There may be difficulty in lifting the leg or difficulty in walking.
- Speech: Difficulty with speaking, finding words, or understanding what is being said.
Other symptoms may occur, like
- Numbness of face, arm or leg on either or both sides of the body
- Dizziness, loss of balance or drunken-like walking
- Loss of vision, blurred or decreased vision in one or both eyes, double vision
- Sudden memory loss or confusion
- Sudden onset of severe headache, with nausea/vomiting